"925 sterling silver plated" refers to an item that has a thin layer of sterling silver applied or bonded onto the surface of a base metal. In this context, the term "925" still denotes that the layer of silver contains 92.5% pure silver, while the remaining 7.5% may consist of other metals. However, it's important to note that the base metal underneath the plating is not sterling silver.

The plating process involves depositing a thin layer of silver onto the surface of the base metal through methods like electroplating or other coating techniques. This creates the appearance of a solid sterling silver item while using a more cost-effective material as the base.

While silver-plated items can be attractive and more affordable than solid sterling silver, it's essential to be aware that the plating can wear off over time, exposing the underlying base metal. The durability and longevity of silver-plated items are generally lower than that of solid sterling silver. Therefore, these items may require more careful handling and maintenance to preserve their appearance.

If you're looking for the highest quality and long-lasting silver items, it's recommended to opt for solid sterling silver rather than silver-plated pieces. However, silver-plated items can be a more budget-friendly option for those who appreciate the look of silver but are willing to accept some limitations in terms of durability.